- The best way to stop innovation, stifle buy in, teamwork and risk taking is to beat the team with too many questions.
- Remember.. There are dumb questions! Being the boss does not exempt you from asking dumb questions or give you the license to ask too many questions
- Great leaders ask the RIGHT questions
Where did this idea of asking a lot of questions make you a good leader come from?
It comes from business management schools. The teaching is to question everything 3 times. Good teaching if you want to stop at being a manager… not good advise if you want to be a great leader.
Most likely this is making some people uncomfortable because it is challenging traditional teachings around management.
Question everything is a mantra of managers not great leaders.
- Let me ask you a question, “Do you want your people preparing for innovation or preparing for an interrogation?”
- When you question everything your team does… your team will stop doing things that breed hard questions.
- It is important to ask questions… not too many, but the right questions that foster innovation and encourage the team to go where others have not gone.